Mama Diaries

Monday, June 23, 2014

Mama's Clunker

I'm back!  The kids and I have returned from a vacation to Tennessee and Ohio.  It was a lot of fun!  Naturally, I have a few stories to share from the trip.  So, I'll spend a couple of days telling you about them.  The first involves a car and a very stubborn Garmin.  I bet you can't guess whose car!

Prior to embarking on the trip, I had planned the course which we were to take.  I always do that, because inevitably the Garmin loses satellite connection and has no idea where I am.

As I pulled out onto the main road, the Garmin immediately had a problem with the route I had chosen.  "Recalculating," it said.

I kept going.

"Make a U-turn," it said.  I didn't.

This went on for twenty minutes.  Finally, it got on the same page as me, and we went merrily along for almost an hour.

Then it started again.  It refused to let me take the main interstate up to my destination, and insisted that I get off and follow a different route.  I gave it a Mama growl and acquiesced to its wishes. I had a strange feeling that I supposed to listen to this computerized hunk of metal.

Fifteen minutes down the new route, I heard a terrible scraping sound.  The sound of metal against the ground when you're going seventy miles an hour is not a good thing! I spotted a gas station and pulled in.
There were many people standing around, and when they heard my clunker making its grand entrance, they all stopped and stared.

"That doesn't sound too good," one nice lady said.

"I'd have to agree with you," I said, getting down on my knees to have a look under my car.  A piece of metal was hanging off from the exhaust system, dragging on the ground.  I said a few choice words in my head, which I won't repeat here, and tried to remove whatever it was.  That thing was stuck.  I couldn't tell if I had run something over, or if it was part of my car.

"I have no idea what's wrong, here," I said. "But I think I need a little help!"

The nice lady got on her phone and called her husband.  The man arrived in no time, and took a look.  "Yep," he said.  "Your heat shroud is coming off."

"My heat shroud?" I asked.  "Is it important?"

"It helps your car not overheat, and protects the catalytic converter," the nice man explained.  "I can unscrew it for you and get it off so it's not dragging."

Of course I was very concerned that I would have to discontinue my trip and go home, but the man assured me it would be okay until I got back. Which it was.

So that's how our vacation started.  But I guess I have to thank my Garmin angel for steering me down another path.  Who knows what would've happened if I had remained on that interstate!  

22 comments:

  1. What a way to begin! Glad it was something minor.
    And welcome back. (Although saw your other post last night, so knew you'd be back here soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the hunk of junk computer voice saved you a ton of grief indeed. I guess for all their wrong ways they get things right once in a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Garmin was full of Gremlins!
    Glad you made it in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to listen to the Gremlins!

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness you listened! I always think that what is meant to be, will be. I'm just happy that you didn't get stranded or anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's a day without a few choice words?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! At least my kids couldn't hear inside my head!

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Glad you were some place where you could pull off easily and get some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I'm glad there were nice people there to help me out!

      Delete
  7. Glad you are safe. Nice couple, too. I live in the country and that is how people are here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Good thing the GPS did take you off the main road. I'm glad you're okay and that there are some nice folks out there ready to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would've been as easy to pull off if I had remained on the interstate. And I doubt I would've met nice people who would've helped me.

      Delete
  9. Love the "Garmin angel'. Thank goodness that situation worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a way to start out your vacation. I hope the rest of the trip went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the car in to a repair shop to have it looked at before I went up to Cincinnati. The mechanics also said it would be fine, so it gave me peace of mind.

      Delete
  11. So glad everything was okay and you were able to make your trip. It's always good to listen to that little voice inside (as well as the Garmin).

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can keep choice words in your head? You are strong. They always pop right out of my mouth, unless I'm in the presence of a small child.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete