Mama Diaries

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rat in the Tank

My eight-year-old son came running into the house.  "Mama, there's a rat in the tank!"

"What?" I asked.  "Where?  What tank?"

"The one outside, where the frog and tadpoles used to live."

Oh.  That one.  For a minute I was worried it was our fish tank or our African Clawed Frog's tank.  "Is it alive or dead?" I asked.

"Dead."

"So what are you going to do with it?"

My son shrugged his shoulders.  "Nothing."

"Okay."  I picked up a load of laundry and took it upstairs.

Bubba followed me.  "But, Mama, aren't you going to do anything about it?"

I shook my head.  "Not my department."

(So, ladies and gentlemen, how long do you think the dead rat will remain floating in that tank?)

24 comments:

  1. Isn't it great how kids want their moms to fix everything? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you don't have to look at it or smell it, I think it can stay until it's a rat skeleton.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Until it starts stinking so bad that someone would have to remove and clean the tank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! LOL! I wouldn't touch it either. If that husband can carry you up the stairs, surely he can carry away a dead rat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm for not touching it. Who knows if it was sick before it died in the tank. Hopefully Schultz won't find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty far back in the woods, behind our fence, so I don't think Schultz will be going back there.

      Delete
  6. I think it's become a science and social studies experiment for your son. He'll keep it there until there's nothing but bones. What kid wouldn't be thrilled by that. Or he'll see if a battle of duties develop between you and your husband. Just my take on it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son definitely likes experiments. This sounds like a two for one!

      Delete
  7. I'm always having to pick up the dead mice the cats bring home, but a rat in a pool of water? No.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhh...so sorry about that. I would ask to borrow a neighbor's cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cat, but I don't think he'd be interested in a drowned rat!

      Delete
  9. You won't believe it, but there's a dead rat in the garage that my hubby needs to get rid of... he's not-your-average... he's quite big!
    You should see him... seems like the rodents of today are on steroids...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwww! I'm sure your hubby is going to have a great time with that thing!

      Delete
  10. Sherry, it won't get taken care of unless you do the dirty deed!
    I enjoyed reading all your posts this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete