Mama Diaries

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tornado Expert

Today I took my seven-year-old son to the museum.  While we were there, we saw a couple of high school kids putting on a tornado exhibit.  Of course we had to investigate.

My son watched as they spun up some tornados in their two-liter pop bottles.  "I can do that, too," he said.

"Oh yeah?" said one of the teenagers.  "Let's see."

He did a great demonstration.

"Do you know how tornados form?' the other teenager asked.

"Yeah," said my little expert.  "Cold air meets hot air and creates an updraft."

"Whoa!"  That teenager was impressed.

Then he proceeded to tell them all about the difference between F1 tornados and F5 tornados.

"Little man, you know more than I do," said the teenager.  "Maybe you should do this job."

"I am going to be a storm chaser when I grow up."

Oh boy.  Something else for me to worry about!

15 comments:

  1. hahaha well he sure knows his tornados. A real life Twister you'll have on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Let me tell you, it always looks like a twister has hit when he's around!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He's really interested in science. I hope it continues!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, he's definitely smart. I'm not yet sure about the brave - I'd call it crazy!

      Delete
  4. hahaha I love this post! How proud you must've been when your little one started sharing his tornado knowledge. I think my chest would have been sticking out about a mile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That little guy seems to be very interested in anything science-related. I hope that helps him later in life!

      Delete
  5. Kids say the most wonderful things! Glad you have this blog post to remember it.

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons I do this blog. Maybe when they're older, I'll turn it into a book, so they can remember some of these things.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet story! Don't you love how kiddos are so rarely self-conscious? Good luck to your little storm chaser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is definitely not shy. He'll go up to anyone and talk about anything!

      Delete
  7. Oh, man. Well, you know we are all feeling a little bit like tornado experts here in Joplin these days - but wishing it weren't so. Maybe your son will grow up and make an amazing contribution to the world of storm chasing and will help save lives! (Someone has to do it, might as well be him!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys are always giving one cause for worry, aren't they?! But bold and full of adventure! My son also had quite a fascination with weather and natural disasters when he was younger. He's moved on to marine biology, and now his big dream is to work with great white sharks. Oh, man....

    ReplyDelete