Mama Diaries

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Fun

Today's bit of craziness took place at a local park. At first everything went pretty much as planned: The kids played on the swingsets and then went down to the river and splashed in the water. They found several fossils, a crayfish, and a snail.

When it was time to go home, the craziness started. First, my daughter spied a baby toad hopping around in the grass. Of course she had to catch it. Then my son wanted to hold it.

"Put the toad back in the grass, and let's go!" I said.

Did they listen? No, of course not. "I want to keep it!" my son said.

"I want ice cream!" my daughter said.

"What?" I exclaimed.

To make a long story short, we ended up walking to the ice cream store, with my son holding the toad. I carried out the chocolate gelatos melting all over my hands. It was 94 degrees, so you can just picture that one.

"I think the toad pooped on me, " my son announced.

"Great. You certainly deserved that one!" I responded.

My son put the toad in his cup holder in his booster seat. Then we sat on the grass and ate our melting gelatos.

After eating those, we made our way back home, sticky hands and all. (I had forgotten to get napkins!) We took out the car seat and opened the cup holder. No toad! The search began. I certainly did not want to smell dead toad in my car!

Fortunately we did find the toad. We put him in the woods behind our house. I hope the poor creature wasn't too traumatized!

No comments:

Post a Comment